(This is part of a post to the newbie list. Sorry to those subscribed to
both lists).

I am back in Mandrake 9.0 after installing RC2 with all its updates. The
one to blame is a process named "keventd" which overload my processor
(Toshiba laptop 5005-S504, PIII 1.1Ghz, 512 Mb)

I downloaded the three iso images and checked their MD5 string. Then I
updated everything using the string that I got from the
plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php.

I noticed that KDE was sort of slow, so I started gkrellm and the
processor load was at 100% all time. I assumed that there might be a
problem with ACPI (for the first time power management was working
nicely under Mandrake), so I turned it off using lilo noacpi and reboot.
The same: processor load at 100%. I turned ACPI back on.

I launched KDE System Guard and found the guilty process: keventd (no
idea about what it does or what it means). It kept using between 80 and
90% of processor computing power.

I remember having this sort of problem with kernel 2.4.20 but I gave up
and went back to 2.4.19

May somebody give me a hint, or link or reference (RTFM are also
welcome) related to this strange behavior?

Does anybody know what keventd is or what it does?

TIA
--
    __
   / \\   @       __     __    @   Adolfo Bello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>