I actually had to recompile my kernel to get it to work with my specific
hardware, and it was a very interesting experience. It is not necessarily
true though that you´ll end up with a faster kernel. Smaller kernel,
definately - but not necessarily faster. If you remove modules then you´ll
get a smaller kernel but with the same speed. However, if you remove stuff
that is included, but not as a module you should save space and get a better
speed.

You´d (not specifically you, ofcourse) be surprised how many outdated
file-system modules there are in the mandrake kernel. Everything from archaic
Unix filesystems to dos stuff to Amiga and Beos filesystems. Here I only need
_real_ filesystems ;-)

Best,
Sascha Noyes

On Monday 24 March 2003 15:06, Ralph Crongeyer wrote:
> Recompiling your kernel is not so bad. Actualy it gives you the chance to
> remove alot of features you don't need and also allows you to change the
> architecture to your specific architecture = faster leaner kernel. Besides
> you need to learn to compile your kernel sometime.
>
> Ralph
>
> On Monday 24 March 2003 02:48 pm, Sascha Noyes wrote:

- --
Please encrypt all correspondence.
PGP key available from:
http://individual.utoronto.ca/noyes/snoyes.asc