Mike grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> On Friday 28 March 2003 12:56 am, Jack Coates wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 21:27, David Guntner wrote:
> > > I've done a clean install of 9.1 on the machine which used to run 9.0.
> > > In 9.0, I had sound.  In 9.1, only silence.  No hardware has changed, so
> > > I'm kind-of hard pressed to figure out why I can't get any sound out of
> > > 9.1.
> >
> > if you run alsamixergui, are all the levels set to zero?
>
> When I installed 9.1 the sound was muted.I had to use one of the mixers to
> turn it up.It can be a little disconcerting until you figure it out.

To say the least. :-)  Someone commented that taking the "above" statement
ouf ot the modules.conf file solved the problem for him (when I posted the
message showing what is in that file.

I tried that, and low-and-behold, when I logged in to KDE, I got the little
welcome "starting up" sound.  I thought that it was fixed.  But after that,
nothing but silence.  Even when I logged out and logged back in - nothing.

After logging out again from the main console, I ssh'ed in from another
computer, and I just happened to run "top."  Low and behold, it showed a
process running with my user ID, called aplay, which was sucking up a
considerable amount of CPU.  When I killed that process, all of a sudden I
heard the KDE greeting sound coming out of the speakers again (apparently
queued up from my previous login at the console).

So it looks like when I log in, it's using aplay to play the greeting
sound.  Unfortunately, aplay just gets stuck at that point never exits,
which leaves the sound device busy.

Anyone have any ideas what's causing that?

                --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!
 http://www.akaMail.com/pgpkey/davidg or key server