On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:04:25 -0300 (BRT)
Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi List!
>
>       My mobo chipset is Via KM266.  I got Pctel winmodem to work with
> MKD 9.0 (stock kernel).  Now I upgraded to MDK 9.1 (a dream!).  Rebuild
> the modules for pctel but modem does not work anymore.
>
>       Does someone else have this issue?  I'm thinking if it could be a
> drawback due to acpi which now is working well.
>
> Any suggestion, commentary or help would be very welcome!
>
> Cheers,
> -----------------------
> Alan Wilter S. da Silva
> -----------------------
>  Laboratório de Física Biológica
>   Instituto de Biofísica Carlos Chagas Filho
>    Universidade do Brasil/UFRJ
>     Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Your pctel modem will still work, but it won't be automatic.  This is because when you
insmod it (or it is done through modules.conf), the kernel thinks it was compiled with
gcc 2.x and refuses to insert it (Mandrake definitely is using gcc 3.2.2).  I've
looked through the code for the modem, but haven't been able to determine where the
problem is.  It appears to not be in the .c code but in an assembler module.

Anyway, to get it to work, you will manually need to open a terminal window and as
root (su) type:  insmod -f pctel  followed by an insmod -f ptserial.  That will insert
both of them with some errors about a tainted kernel, but they will work after that.
The only down side is that you will need to do this each time you reboot.

Jan's pctel website has a section in one of the FAQs that talk about doing this
(Redhat 8.0 and 9 have the same problem).  Hopefully, there will be a new version of
the driver that fixes the problem (anyone reading this know how to get insmod or the
kernel to ignore the compiler check?).

Joeb