Subject: Re: [expert] samba
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:33:35 +0100
From: Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Monday 31 Mar 2003 8:32 pm, richard bown wrote:

Hi All

, thanks Kwan & Torstein for the advice , but so far the windows machine
still cannot see this machine.
I have opened ports 137 & 139 on the firewall , I've altered the
smb.conf as suggested, included the chmod and chown  foe the public dir,
but still nothing.
The modified smb.conf is as follows:-
[global]
        workgroup = MDKGROUP
        netbios name = FW-GB7TF
        server string = Samba Server %v
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = cups
        domain logons = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        printer admin = @adm
        printing = cups
        security = share
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client
side printer drivers.
        browseable = No

[print$]
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
        write list = @adm root
        guest ok = Yes

The smbusers file as follows:-

# Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
root = administrator admin
nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

I'm still stumped, any more suggestions ??

It looks as though your windows users don't have accounts on your box? They
need a user account, with password and username exactly matching their
windows logon, and a samba user account, again with an exact match in
username and password.

I presume they also have MDKGROUP as their workgroup, remembering case
sensitivity?

Anne