On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 13:03, Christopher Kolar wrote:
> Hi everyone.  I've recently upgraded to 9.1 from 8.1 and, given the
> age difference, things went pretty smoothly.  To date the most
> annoying problem that I have had is that all of the programs on the
> KDE start menu are gone -- both in my user account and as root.

Try as first a user and then as root update-menus... wait a few seconds
and see if it comes back.  From 8.1 to 9.1 the changes in KDE have been
enormous.  You might have to wack all of the .kde and .kderc files/dirs
in your home directory, but try update-menus first.

> If anyone has any suggestions on how to get them back I would much
> appreciate the help.  I did not find anything in the list archives.
> All of the launcher icons are the generic gear too, but that is less
> annoying than losing the links to all of the programs.
>
> If anyone else is upgrading from that far in the past here are the
> other glitches that I ran into.
>
> ** When selecting the High security level (the one suggested for
> servers) I now have to list the allowed connections in
> /etc/hosts.allow.  I know that is part of 9.0 as well, but it is a
> change from 8.1.
>
> ** httpd-perl would die a horrible death when trying to start.
> Looking through the error messages I had to connect to CPAN and
> install several perl modules again.  Not too big a deal to remedy.
>
> ** postfix had a lot of problems.  I first had to comment out some
> debugging code that was appended to main.cf (something that I posted
> about earlier) that was causing all of the postfix related programs to
> die.  I also had to remove a poorly formatted change it made to
> local_recipient_maps (inserting unix:passwd.byname at the end of the
> line *without* a comma to separate it from the existing entries).
>
> ** It appears to be rewriting the permissions on /home directories to
> 700 every 15 minutes or so.  That is good for security, but bad if you
> have apps (like pre-2.1 Mailman) that want to run in a /home directory
> with more permissive read settings.

Use the tools in MCC to edit this (under the security tab).  If you
can't find a correct rule chose editable.. it will let you enter new
rules so that what you need gets set to what you want.  For the purists
in the group the file to edit is under /etc/msec.

James