On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 15:34, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> 3) CDROM is working perfectly now. Not sure what did it, but I had tried
> jumpering the drive as master and swapped it to different interfaces.
> It's back on the original master drive on secondary IDE controller but
> is now working where before it was not. The one glitch I noticed was
> when I put in a blank CDR into the drive and used Konqueror to browse to
> /mnt. The application froze for about two minutes trying to mount the
> unmountable disk.

cool! Thanks to supermount, even the most annoying Windows features can
be brought to your Linux desktop :-) This little behavior is one of the
things that has bugged the heck out of me since Win98 introduced it.
I'll stick with clicking the little mount button on gkrellm, thanks :-)

> 5) xine does not have all the proper codecs for some AVI files. Still
> looking for packages to fix this. DVD playback is somewhat important too
> since this will be a demo machine. MP3s worked out of the box, unlike
> the RedHat installation. Still no television...

plf.zarb.org and add a PLF source, then urpmi the rest of the codecs and
libdecss. I haven't had time to check DVD playback on 9.1, but that was
the process with 9.0.
> lot better. This may be my imagination, but the box also seems to run
> cooler. Is there anything in the kernel that could possibly have done
> this?

Better ACPI support, but you'd have to turn that on...
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...