I have only two USB ports. I like to keep my printer plugged in to one
port, and on the other port alternate between a SmartMedia reader and a
webcam.

Now, if I start the machine with the SmartMedia reader plugged in, and then
unplug it and plug in the webcam, Linux knows the webcam is there and
Gnomemeeting pops up on the desktop. But the webcam does NOT work.

I have to restart something, but what? I tried "/etc/rc.d/init.d/usb restart"
but it didn't help. What else can I try?

Miark