On Saturday 05 Apr 2003 1:20 pm, Mark Weaver wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >>
> >>no dice...did the reboot and same thing. the print jobs are just
> >>dropping into the ether. nothing is reaching the printer. :(
> >
> > Have you checked the spool directory and watched what actually happens
> > when you send a file to print?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hi Anne,
>
> Following your suggestion I opened Konq and watched /var/spool/cups. I
> also opened KJobViewer and sent a print job. The Job appeared in the
> KJobViewer window, and two files appeared in the spool dir. When the job
> disappeared from KJobViewer one disappeared from the spool dir and one
> was left there. still nothing made it to the printer.
>
> any thoughts?

Hi, Mark.  It sounds to me a bit like the problem I had when trying to set up
printing from a win98 pc to the usb printer on this box.  It turned out to be
a driver problem.  I'm not on 9.1 yet, so I can only suggest the lines of
investigation I would take on 9.0, and you can adapt them as necessary.  I'm
not sure whether you said you had done either of these.

1)  HP are pretty good at providing drivers.  There may be a specific one on
their website.  But before trying that, look at MCC.

2)  Try setting up a new printer (it will work alongside the other one, even
if they point to the same printer - I have 4 set up, to give me quick access
to different settings).  Under Hardware > Printers, first select expert mode
(or is it advanced?), then go through the screens to add a printer.  When you
get to the screen asking you to confirm the model, there should be a
selection of drivers available for your model.  Make sure that you have
selected the recommended one.  If it is no better you can use the same setup
facility to try the other drivers.

HTH

Anne
--