On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 11:02, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> > <rant>
> > Switching to KDM fixed the problem.  Mandrake should have kept *all* of
> > KDM's functionality in MdkKDM along with any enhancements they might
> > want to add.  Breaking KDM's configuration just leads to aggravation.
> > If this funcionality *is* in MdkKDM somewhere, it should be made more
> > obvious where to configure it.  MdkKDM is a bit prettier in an eye
> > candy sort of way, but that's no excuse for removing funtionality.
> > </rant>
>
> <rant-reply>
> I must agree. Mandrake is great except for the look that they insist on.
> Mandrake Galaxy, the Mandrake screensaver, mdkkdm, and the Mandrake KMenu are
> all a joke compared to what is available from the developers. And yes, the
> look they want is buried, and should be more easily corrected.

Galaxy is IMHO a step to follow RH and Blew.  (Yes spelling intended)
I'll agree with it being rather dull, but it isn't really all that bad.
As for mdkkdm... I've yet to figure out why it was done.. but it was.
At least they were smart enough to allow you to opt out (drakedm is the
tool)  Now on the unified menu system.  That IHMO is the single best
thing they have done with look and feel.  In our office there might be 4
or 5 different WM's being used by any one team... and the menu is always
the same.  Creating an RPM for MDK is a ton easier than for RH or SuSe
as well. One set of scripts.  Cut paste and tweak and it works. RH's
solution seems to have been to remove everthing but Gnome.  (I use Ice
in remote situations, myself and WindowMaker and fvwm are popular
here.), yet no matter which one you use..... The menu doesn't change.

James