I see a lot of activity around Spam Assassin, but haven't notice anyone mentioning POPFile. This is another Bayes method spam filter. I have it running on two Mandrake machines at work, and it's averaging 98.8% on one machine and about 97% correctness on the other. They are both handling e-mail for a number of people, otherwise I bet they would be scoring even higher.

It is easy to set up - it's a perl script. It doesn't use any lists - I don't think it needs to. After a couple days of learning, it's shown itself to work really well.

Just FYI, the one working at 98+% handles 500-750 messages a day, the other one probably about 400 or so. Really, the more traffic it sees, the better it does.

You can run it locally on a single user's machine, or run it as a proxy, and you can use it on Linux or Windows (anything that can run perl, probably).

... I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.. This is just a suggestion for those having trouble with SpamAssassin. I found out about it from enthusiastic people on another list I belong to.

It's been working very well for me, it's GPL, and here's a link to it's sourceforge home page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/popfile/

Good luck,

Bruce