Hi Tom,

Tom Brinkman wrote:
Yes, an I believe as you do the problem is solved in newer kernels.

Do you have any specific patches in mind ?

I've seen attempts to backport 2.5 AGP code to 2.4, like:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&q=+2.5+agp+2.4.21&btnG=Google+Search&lr=lang_en

Still many users, specially those who taint their kernel with the nVidia driver and/or other proprietary kernel corruptions, swear the nopentium parameter is still needed. That's why I suggested to try it. I have an nVidia AGP card, don't use nopentium, don't use the nVidia driver, no problems with a 6-4-4 Athlon oc'd to 1.5GHz on a kt133a chipset.

Heh. I should have been more specific about where my XF86 came from, and what driver I'm using. For the record, it's mandrake-compiled XFree86-4.3-5mdk, with the radeon driver. The kernel is compiled from 2.4.21-013mdk, patched to move PAGE_OFFSET_RAW from 3Gb to 2Gb.

Regards,

John.