Hi there,

I'm running Mandrake 9.1, with (I think) Gnome-2.2
As far as I know, Gnome-2.2 needs glib-2.2, or at least a very new version.  So I suppose a fairly recent version of glib is installed on my computer.
When I try to install gaim (or some other programs) I get an error that my glib-version has to be >=1.3.
I tried to install glib-2.2.0 myself, but it doesn't help.  I tried to install other apps, but most of them don't want to configure because they can't find the right dependencies, which, by the way, has to be there!

I tried putting the paths /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib .... in /etc/ld.so.conf, I tried to update some env.-variables (GTK...) but nothing works.

I tried configuring programs with --nodeps, and yes, it compiles. But I can't run it...

Does anyone has an idea how I can fix thix, so that every new installation can find the right dependencies in the future ?
I use Linux since several years, but started using it as desktop system right now, so consider me a newbie  :-)

Thx in advance
Steven