Somebody scribbled about Re: [expert] very strange filenames in 'ftp'

>> David,
>>
>>   Curiosity.. are you running UTF-8?  Cause if you aren't and the
>> other individual is.... this could be the problem. ( ssh into a UTF-8
>> enabled box from one that isn't and do man man .... you'll see the
>> same crap.)
>>
>> James

James (replying to the other post)

I don't think UTF is at fault here. I don't think I use that encoding. The
point is that someone outside put those wierd files there. I was able to
remove some of them, only painstakingly, via rm -i, and still there are
some. I noticed also that the new proftpd setup places stuff in
/var/ftp/pub, my stuff was in an older place /home/ftp/pub.

Removing the files (or attempting to) caused a big crash, accidentally
lost /bin, /etc. Dunno how that happened, unless a file there was a
symlink to something in the root filesystem.

In other words, ouch. I had to reinstall.

Another salient point -- the filenames inside those diretories are full of
long names consisting of floating point numbers and "Randomize", like
"Randomize?1.0081230592034029402291E+14" might be a sample file name.

I smell an exploit.

I don't get much anonymous ftp but have it there for the odd file
transfer.

Confirmed - nothing UTF related in my /etc/sysconfig/i18n, but admittedly,
this is from the reinstall, not the contents at that time.