I've got a few questions, more or less related to samba 2GB file size limit and MDK 9.1.

I'm using Mandrake 9.1 as a base for mythtv, a linux personal video recorder (a la tivo). As such, I routinely need to access video files greater than 2GB on my Windows shares (as well as linux machines).

1. Does the stock MDK 9.1 kernel & smbmount support file sizes greater than 2GB? If so, how is it enabled? If the stock MDK9.1 doesn't support smb file sizes >2GB, where can I get a precompiled kernel and smbmount?

2. There is a kernel patch and smbmount patch (for >2GB file size support) available at http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~errror/smbfs-lfs.html
I applied the (kernel) patches successfully; there are changes to files in linux/fs/smbfs/*.c and linux/include/smb*.h in the kernel source tree. Is it possible to just recompile smbfs.o w/o recompiling the (stock) kernel, and have it insmod successfully without the dreaded "unresolved symbols" message?

I tried this as suggested in the "compile just a module" kernel compile HOWTO, but despite pointing to the correct modversions.h and the correct kernel source tree, I still get the unresolved symbols against the MDK 9.1 stock kernel, getting "unresolved symbols" for smbfs.o. What's the exact procedule for recompiling just the smbfs.o module so it will just work with the stock kernel?

Thanks,
Mark