Never seen anything like it, but isn't the sound from Winmodems produced
through the regular sound infrastructure? It could be sounding funny
because of artsd weirdness. Try to use minicom to dial and see if that
works. (Open minicom, then set the serial port to /dev/modem, then do an
ATZ, then ATDyournumber).

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 23:25, Per-Olof Litby (Java Web Services Reg'l Mgr
- Nordic - Sun Microsystems) wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Maybe this is not specifically a Mandrake problem, but I'll ask here
> anyway.
> I've installed the Smartlink drivers for the Winmodem  (Lucent based)
> in my Toshiba Tecra 9000 laptop, and they seem to work fine - modem
> responds OK to query, commands work OK, etc.
>
> But when I use kppp to dial out, the modem dials the wrong number!
> Listening to the modem speaker while it dials, it sounds like it sort
> of stumbles along the way and repeats some digits so that in the end
> it dials the wrong, and too many, digits.
>
> Has anyone experienced or heard of this problem?
>
> Regards,

> Per-Olof Litby                   Phone:  +46 8 631-1463
> Regional Mgr - Nordic/Baltic     Fax:    +46 8 631-1005
> Java Web Services               Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sun Microsystems
> Calendar URL below (Sun only)
> http://namefinder.germany/nfcal.cgi?-s+23213
> I've got this great ambition to die of exhaustion
> rather than boredom.
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...
http://www.monkeynoodle.org/resume.html

  • ... Per-Olof Litby (Java Web Services Reg'l Mgr - Nordic - Sun Microsystems)
    • ... Jack Coates
      • ... Per-Olof Litby (Java Web Services Reg'l Mgr - Nordic - Sun Microsystems)
        • ... Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java Web Services - Sun Microsystems