On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 08:39, Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva wrote:
> Hi List!
>
>       I'll set up a new server (MDK 8.0 -> 9.1)  and I would like to
> keep the same users, but without cloning or copying /home folders.  I
> know I can copy /etc/passwd file.  But I don't know how to regenerate
> automatically new /home/users folders (from /etc/skel ?) without using
> userdrake (or similar).  I would like to keep gid and uid numbers.
>
> Is there a way, how-to, or tip to do it.
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help.

You could do something like this:
#!/bin/bash

for item in `cat /etc/passwd`; do
     USERNAME=`echo $item | cut -d: -f1`
     USERID=`echo $item | cut -d: -f3`
     GROUPID=`echo $item | cut -d: -f4`
     COMMENT=`echo $item | cut -d: -f5`
     USERDIR=`echo $item | cut -d: -f6`
     USERSHL=`echo $item | cut -d: -f7`

     echo useradd -u ${USERID} -g ${GROUPID} -c ${COMMENT} \
                  -d ${USERDIR} -s ${USERSHL} ${USERNAME}
done

Remove the "echo" to actually run the command.

Let me know if you'd prefer an awk version...