On Sunday June 15 2003 07:52 am, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Sunday 15 June 2003 07:58 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >     'locate -u' == 'updatedb'    Sorry I must'a missed the part
> > where you've had this problem even after a fresh install.  You
> > could try 'bonnie++' to see if your drive(s) are behaving up to
> > par.  Should be on your CD's.
>
> No problem - I tend to ramble when facing seemingly
> insurmountable and unsolvable problems! <grin>
>
> I'll try that - I've used bonnie before, thats a pretty good
> piece of software.

    One more thought, tho I think the suggestions you've gotten to
check the filesystem are probly better ... take a look at
/etc/updatedb.conf  and see if it isn't corrupted or incomplete.

Here's mine: tom$ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
## Linux-Mandrake configuration.

#
# Originally written by Chmouel Boudjnah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
#
# Modified 20010109 by Francis Galiegue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
#
# Fixes by [EMAIL PROTECTED], 20010328

# Where to start.
FROM="/"

# Which directories to exclude. /home and /root are excluded for
privacy, but
# YMMV
PRUNEPATHS="/proc,/tmp,/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/net,/afs,/mnt"

# Security level :
#       0 turns security checks off. This will make searchs faster.
#       1 turns security checks on. This is the default.
SECURITY="1"

# Be verbose or no.
VERBOSE="NO"

# Where the database is located.
DATABASE="/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db"

# Which filesystems do we exclude from search?
PRUNEFS="nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts,supermount,vfat,iso9660,udf,usbdevfs,devfs"