On Friday June 20 2003 11:49 pm, David E Fox wrote:
> Tired of the endless "no sound" messages....
> I got it fixed once in 9.x when I used a cooker kernel..
> I've taken the plunge and gotten cooker latest mirrored. I did a
> HD install just a few minutes ago. My kernel is
> Linux m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com 2.4.21-0.1mdk #1 Wed May 7 04:38:19
> CEST 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
> And there were a number of errors in the boot. There was a slight
> permissions glitch in adding a user -- I had to chown to dfox
> because everything had user id 501, which was already dfox from
> the previous install.
>
> But more to the point - it seems 9.x cooker (hot off the press)
> has trouble initializing the card. Mine's a creative labs SB Live
> 5.1 version. I had it OK in the previous install, and after
> finding a better/newer kernel I could eventually change the
> driver from audigy o emu10k.

     You really should subscribe to the cooker list if you run
cooker, or at least comb the cooker archive. The primary mirrors
have been sort'a screwed up since 6/18. Mirrors that mirror off
them are even worse for longer.  Many have reported problems
installin cooker as is. The usual suggestion is to do a fresh 9.1
install (you can keep /home), and then update it to current cooker
9.2, but use sunsite, the primary mirror.  As far as you've gotten,
I believe I'd try doin an update of sunsite sources, then
'urpmi --auto-select'. My guess is the mirror probly won't be fixed
before Monday tho. Keep an eye on the synthesis.hdlist's in ../base

    If you don't wanna fool with that, cooker iso's of 9.2 should be
available soon, at least before the end of this month.  I've been
usin 9.2 all along with no problems. I've got onboard AC97 sound. I
don't remember any complaints or bug reports for 9.2 SB live! When
the mirrors finally do get straight there should be a new 2.4.21
marcelo kernel. Maybe it would straighten out your problem. Or try
the mm kernel in contribs (/RPMS2), 2.4.21-0.18mm-mdk. It's the one
I use.