OK, I've struggled with this for a couple of hours while trying to
coordinate the Linux Kernel howto, several READMEs, etc.  I have
previously compiled kernels from the .src.rpm, and I remember it being
surprisingly easy, if you just want to compile all 5 or so sets of
kernel binaries.

I downloaded kernel-2.4.21.0.18mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm from sec.sup.org and
tried to install the source with rpm -ivh.  It seems to dump several
files into /usr/src/RPMS/SOURCES:

linux.2.4.20.tar.bz2
linux.2.4.21-pre4q18.tar.bz2
linux-mdkconfig.h
linux-merge-config.awk
linux-merge-modules.awk
patch-2.4.21-pre4.bz2
README.kernel-sources
README.Mandrake

None of this matches any of the howtos I have seen.  Any suggestions?
Oh, I avoid urpmi like the plague ... it really is NOT good for an
expensive dial-up connection, which is why I wanted to download the
source RPM and build the various kernels.

Thanks.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz