On Sunday June 29 2003 07:16 pm, Brian Schroeder wrote:
> Thanks Tom and Olaf for your replies.  I will have a play with
> Sandra and see what I come up with.
>
> Brian.
>
> >At 01.24 27/06/2003, you wrote:
> >>Does anyone know of an easy way to work out the rating of
> >>SDram  (ie. 66, 100, 133)?  Obviously, in cases where it isn't
> >>actually written on the stick.

     Ram is what it'll do. Use Sandra if you want, but any info you
get from it is suspect, probly incorrect. Memory most often runs at
the same mhz as the FSB, cept for some motherboards that allow
setting the ram mhz asyncronis to FSB. On those boards it's a
serious performance hit to set mhz timing of the ram below the
cpu's FSB speed (eg, 100mhz for the ram when usin a 133mhz FSB
cpu).

    As I said before, the only ram timings that really matter are
mhz, cas, and bank-interleaving. Best timings are highest mhz the
ram (and cpu) can run at with -0- errors at cas2, 4-bank while
keeping a reasonable PCI bus speed.  Memtest86 is a decent check,
very much better than Sandra, and memtest86 will display the ram's
(as timed in bios) mb/sec in the upper left corner so you can see
what is achevied by changing bios timing options.

     'Cept for ram with SPD onboard the stick, and SPD enabled in
bios (which IMO it never should be), ram doesn't dictate what speed
it runs at, the motherboard and bios timings do. The only part left
to the ram is whether or not it can keep up ;)