On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:27:33 -0500 Praedor Atrebates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Monday 30 June 2003 07:01 am, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:08:22 -0500 Praedor Atrebates
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Eieew, 20+ megs...I have a dialup and don't see downloading
> > > smoothwall in this lifetime.  I tried shorewall and setting it up
> > > via the nice drakconf frontend but it completely borked my ability
> > > to connect to the internet, seemingly regardless of what settings I
> > > made (as to allowing what to access, etc).
> >
> > http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/stronger-firewall-examples.htm
> >
> > is about as low download impact as you can get...  using it on a
> > 21.6kb line at the moment -- sucks compared to my DSL; but the script
> > tracks the dialup IP. The only problem I've had with it was a ~30sec
> > delay each time I checked mail from my server...  This was solved by
> > adding a rule to allow ident from the server; I can provide the
> > changes if you need them...
>
> I would appreciate it if you would provide your changes...just in case.
> I'll try the script as is and see how it goes, then try your changes as
> needed.
>
> Thank you for the link.
>
> praedor

# Setting a few other local variables
#
UNIVERSE="0.0.0.0/0"
### added addr of mail server here:
SERVER="1.2.3.4/32"

### Added this:
# identd - Enable the following lines if you need identd for your mailhost
#
echo -e "      - Allowing EXTERNAL access to the identd server"
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED \
 -p tcp -s $SERVER -d $EXTIP --dport 113 -j ACCEPT

### just before this:
#
# ----- End OPTIONAL INPUT Section -----

Of course, I specified the various addresses to match my network...  quite
simple... just follow the instructions.