Thanks for the tips guys, especially Steffen Barszus who solved my
problem. For your information the problem was solved with the
installation of two missing libs NOT asked for at installation,

kdelibs-devel-3.1
libgdbm2-devel-1.8

I am trying to report this problem to Mandrake with little success. It
appears the cooker, and bugzilla mailing lists are for cooker installs
only, not current releases and I can't find any other ways of
reporting problems. Any info would be appreciated.

This is the first problem I've had recompiling src.rpms after reading
the guide at

http://cybercfo.gkmweb.com/mandrake_a_la_gentoo.pdf

and I didn't need to comment out the spec file either. Will check out
the opt flags, been using the default ones as they should also work by
default, being too ambitious often leads to problems, and this way you
get the majority of a large potential increase in speed without as
much hassle. Thanks for pointing out the tbird flag, I had been
wondering what was right for my duron.

Cheers

Huw