Richard Bown wrote:

> Thanks Kevin
>

> It will run from a root console, and ripping and encoding is faster than
> arson or k3b
You may have a corrupted 'settings' file in your home directory (.grip)

Just remove it and try it again as a user:

rm ~/.grip
grip

Do this as a user from a terminal window.

> I hav'nt got a /dev/cdrom3, I have got a /mnt/cdrom3

/mnt/cdrom3 will not work, it is a mount point, not a device. What you need is
the device and it will be in /dev. Are you booting up using something like:

  append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi"

in your lilo.conf, or if you are using grub:

  kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi

in your /boot/grub/menu.lst?
You need to have scsi-emulation turned on for the device to be able to burn a
CD. A quick check would be to see if you have : /dev/scd0

> so how do I get into its config to change that to one of the valid
> cdroms, when it wont start ?

If it won't start it doesn't matter because it is still broken anyway. The
settings are stored in the .grip file mentioned above:

GRIP 2
cd_device /dev/scd0
ripexename /usr/bin/cdparanoia
.
.
.

- --
KevinO

Hickory Dickory Dock, The mice ran up the clock, The clock struck one, The
others escaped with minor injuries.