On Monday July 7 2003 02:53 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> Remember.  The vendor can report the correct write modes all he
> wants; but there is also the small matter of correct EFM
> encoding.  That means actually testing the drive to see if the
> drive can reproduce exotic conditions like weak sectors.  That in
> turn means that somebody needs to have actually tried to produce
> backup copies of exotic cd's in an attempt to create true 1 to 1
> copies.....and then reported their results.  Like the results at
> the CloneCD hardware database, for instance.
>
> For an idea of what true quality drives are capable of and what
> they are up against, please check out the following:
>
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20021213/lg-13.html
>
> Not having perfect EFM encoding is the same thing as not having
> the correct raw hardware modes at all.  For this info we need
> somebody's test results.

   I agree with your basic premise Lyvim. Years ago I used CloneCD's
data base and comments to choose Plextor, the darling of burners at
the time. Keep in mind tho that CloneCD's Windoze software, and
THG's review/test is also Winblows based. Linux/cdrecord/cdrdao/
mkisofs results may or may not be different. (probly better ;)

    Still ya gotta start somewhere ;) I'm mostly curious because I
hear a lot of good reports on Lite-On's, even THG gave 'em a thumbs
up. I'm thinking a good cheap burner might be a better alternative
than keepin my old cd-rw and even older CDrom. Just use the burner
for everything in my next system. I'm not a fan of direct CD to CDr
copying anyhow, and burners are better readers than cdrom's ;)