My motherboard has an S3 savage4 video adapter and I thought I would save a
few bucks and use it.  I have 32MB put aside for video memory.  The adapter,
first of all, won't do 24 bits at 1280x1024 (should require about 8MB), it
breaks up, so I have it set for 16 bits (probably no whoop, it's just
inconsistent).  The big problem is that Xine freezes the entire machine when
I start it up (I am thinking lack of video overlay capability on the
adapter).  I am using the latest Xine, installed clean (not over the Xine
that came with Mandrake).  Do I need to part with the cash, or is there a way
around this?  I looked on the S3 web site but the driver there is from 2000,
so I've got to believe it won't be an improvement, unless I am missing
something.

thanks