On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 16:13, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> Just a heads up...
>
> I have not fully analyzed this; but my HP 5550 (USB2.0) printers will not
> work if connected to a USB/PCMCIA port.  My camera, external HDs, etc, all
> work off the SIIG USB PCMCIA 4-port hub; but the printers will only work
> if connected to the laptop's builtin USB1.1 port.
>
> CUPS reports "Unable to open USB device "usb://hp/deskjet%205550": No such
> device", even after redoing the printer setup via http://localhost:631
>
> Just moving the cable from the PCMCIA to the builtin port allows queued
> jobs to print.

Pierre,

   Is it possible.. (and this is a real stab in the dark.) that the
printer doesn't recognize the hub as a real USB port?  So it doesn't
"activate".  I've got an Epson that does that no matter what OS is on
the other end.  When I boot the box with the printer connected to the
USB hub... I don't get all of the chugging and churning I normally get
when it's directly connected.  We got rid of the hub plugged it in
directly and ... poof it works. Go figure.

James