Sven,
 Here's an idea. Make sure you have this set in make xconfig when you compile:

#
# Loadable module support
#
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y

and then under
# SCSI low-level drivers

check these lines:

# CONFIG_SCSI_IZIP_EPP16 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_IZIP_SLOW_CTR is not set

I don't have a zip drive, so I didn't set mine when I did xconfig. You should
at least set them for modules. I've never had a zip drive, so I don't know if
they need to be in the kernel, or not.

Also check the file systems section and see if anything looks amiss that would
affect zip drives, or anything else.

I can send you a copy of my .config file that works fine with 2.4.21 and the
ck patces, if you like. You would need to load it into xconfig, and the edit
it to suit your hardware, save, and then dep, clean, bzImage, modules,
modules_install. I've found manually copying bzImage and System map to /boot
works better than make install. In my case, I don't use an initrd on non-MDK
kernels.

Robert Crawford.