On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 13:52, Jerry A! wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 12:54:02PM -0700, James Sparenberg wrote:
> : On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 07:04, Jerry A! wrote:
> : > I'm using a 9.1 system.  I'm trying to install the "mplayerplugin" rpm.
> : > However, everytime I go to install, it complains about a conflict with
> : > the "mozplugger" package.
> : >
> : > Hey, I've got my config files setup so that the two can co-exist.  So,
> : > looking at the man page I see that I can pass the rpm options of
> : > "--force" and "--nodeps" by using the "--allow-force" and
> : > "--allow-nodeps" of urpmi.
> : >
> : > "urpmi --allow-force --allow-nodeps mozplayerplugin" still wants to
> : > remove the mozplugger package.
> : >
> : > Is the man page wrong, urpmi broken or am I doing something wrong?
> : >
> : >         --Jerry
> :
> : Your not doing something wrong.. the conflict is apparently coded into
> : the mplayer and mozplugger rpms.  Usually this is done because they
> : share a filename... but not content.  It's possible you could download
> : the smaller of the two src rpms. Then edit the spec file for it and
> : install that way.  I've got mplayer on my box and I'm not missing
> : mozplugger myself... but that's just me.
>
> The conflict comes from the fact that both the default setups for
> mozplugger and mplayerplugin control the various video/* mime-types.
>
> Regardless, I can download either of the two rpms and install it via
> "rpm --nodeps <rpm>" and everything is all cool.
>
> I'm curious as to why "--allow-force/nodeps" isn't being passed to rpm
> by urpmi.
>
>         --Jerry

It's my understanding that when a Conflicts parameter is set in the rpm
spec file it overides the force / nodeps.  Doing this you could
theoretically do a conflicts between say KDE and Gnome and you would
only be "able" to install one.  I'll have to check out MaximumRPM to
verify my info is current but AFAIK I am.

James