On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 14:02, Vox wrote:

>   The only NIC worth using, IMNSHO, is Intel Etherexpress Pro
>   100+...if you have the inclination, a Pro+/S is a very good model
>   too, but the encryption on it isn't really worth unless you are
>   doing VPNing between boxes that all have the same NIC. I've tested
>   windows boxes against my firewall with my EEPros and the winboxes
>   don't come close (about 3k download speed difference with the best
>   winboxes using an EEPro too).
>
>   I'll use a lot of crappy HW, but for my NICs, I only buy
>   EEPros. Worth every cent.
>
>   Vox
>
> --
> Think of the Linux community as a niche economy isolated by its beliefs.  Kind
> of like the Amish, except that our religion requires us to use _higher_
> technology than everyone else.             -- Donald B. Marti Jr.

Agreed.  I asked the operations folks at Supernews (one of the largest
NNTP providers in the world, who push GIGABYTES of data through their
network) what cards they recommend.  They said Intel with the 82559
chipset.  That's all I buy, and they've all worked flawlessly.  I highly
recommend them.

--
Brian Keefer