On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 12:11, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 14:11, Thomas K. Gamble wrote:
>

> > I had a system that was experiencing periodic lockups recently.  Turns
> > out the cpu temps were creeping up to around 78C. Improving the case
> > cooling brought the temp down to around 63C under load.  Still not
> > ideal, but the system is in a safe and has limited cooling.  I may have
> > to try a different heatsink fan combo.  This is a Tyan dual cpu mb with
> > 2100+MPs.  Obviously reliability fails well below 110C, at least for
> > this system.
> >
> > Anyone know which mbs have the core temp sensors?
>
> Well, the core temp sensors are in the "core", which is the XP chip
> itself.  In other words it's an AMD cpu thing; which is the reason for
> the increase in accuracy over the mobo sensors.
>
> If you were at 78C you were at extreme risk of frying your CPU's.  In
> fact it's possible that there might have been some damage done.

You'll like this Lyvim...

I've known for a while that my everything server cum router cum wife's
workstation was overheating, but it's only been a major problem (e.g.
interrupting task at hand) when she wants to play quake2. Last week I
added a 95mm fan with a resistor on it, but didn't really look at the
CPU because I have to pull the power supply to see it.

So tonight we were playing some quake2 with a friend over the Internet,
when her machine locked up a littler earlier than it normally would. No
big deal, it started to reboot as usual, but then kernel panicked. So I
gave it the three-finger salute, went to the BIOS CPU health page, and
saw it ticking over from 98C to 100C -- yes friends, 212 degrees
Fahrenheit or the boiling point of water :-)

Needless to say I cracked it open and found that the CPU heatsink was
blocked with cat hair and the cheap white thermal compound had burned
away. In fact, that yellow pad on the bottom of my heat sink had also
burned away. I scraped it all off and found a tube of Artic Silver II,
took out the fan resistor and hooked a third fan up. I now have the 95mm
in the front sucking in with no resistor (loud mofo) and two tiny
fellers hooked to one of those auto-speed pyramid thingies -- one on the
back of the case and one on the video card. That seems to be doing the
job so far, and I plan to get that big fan onto the auto-speed thingie
or a resistor because it is way loud.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...