>This patch fixes it: (I posted them on qa at 2003-06-18)
>
>http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/attachment.cgi?id=516&action=view
>- changes incorrect define_mbool =>> define_bool
>
>and while you are at it ... get theese two also:
>

>http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/attachment.cgi?id=517&action=view
>- removes menu duplicate (if ... fi) from drivers/char/drm/Config.in
>
>http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/attachment.cgi?id=518&action=view
>- remove duplicate 'source sound/usb/Config.in' in file
>sound/Config.in
>

>Regards
>
>Thomas

I solved the problem by installing the tk/tcl rpm packages and xconfig
works. Maybe this should be a dependency for the kernel source?

This is for the standard kernel that comes with 9.1 (2.4.21-0.13mdk I
think...).

I've got the splash screen up and running (I left out initrd support)
but am pretty stumped by my power problem. Using the standard kernel,
on the command halt the computer shuts down and powers down. ACPI is
disabled in the bios and doesn't effect this behaviour (due to the
fact acpi doesn't work for my via chipset appollo 133 and 686a
southbridge) it still powers down. However in my beautfiul new
optimised slimmed down kernel (its been on the atkins diet) everything
works apart from the computer powering down. I even hear the HD spin
down, but no power off. It is obviously a missing module in the
kernel, but I haven't touched the standard advanced power management
options (turned off acpi support, also tried with it on, and still no
effect.).

Under one kernel it works,

under the other it doesn't.

Any clues you can give me for other modules required to allow apm to
turn off the computer? I can post the .config file as an email
attachment if you so wish.

Cheers

Huw