Tru64 User wrote:
--- Rolf Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You have to give the name of a source to update or
the -a switch to update all. Since you will not need to update the
removable media, you would probably want something like:

urpmi.update update_source

for example. You might want to remove the 'Udates
for Mandrake Linux 8.2' source in the 'Manage Sources' part of
rpmdrake. Presumably, update_source provides your security updates.

Rolf

Rolf

It errors out same way regardless of command:

# urpmi.update -a
unable to take medium "Updates for Mandrake Linux 8.2
(ftp1u)" into account as no list file
[/var/lib/urpmi/list.Updates for Mandrake Linux 8.2
(ftp1u)] exists
examining synthesis file
[/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.disc 1 Download
Edition Installation CD (x86) (cdrom1).cz]
unable to uncompress synthesis file at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/urpm.pm line 869.

#urpmi.update update_source
unable to take medium "Updates for Mandrake Linux 8.2
(ftp1u)" into account as no list file
[/var/lib/urpmi/list.Updates for Mandrake Linux 8.2
(ftp1u)] exists
examining synthesis file
[/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.disc 1 Download
Edition Installation CD (x86) (cdrom1).cz]
unable to uncompress synthesis file at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/urpm.pm line 869.

I don't know, it appears you may have multiple sources of error. That file, urpm.pm belongs to urpmi and, although I don't think this is one likely problem, you could see if the package has been corrupted with:

rpm -V urpmi

Otherwise, it looks like some files have been deleted or corrupted. Have you been deleting files? Is a hard drive going bad or has a bad shutdown caused corruption? You seem to have configured a lot of sources: (ftp1u) (one of disc 1 Download Edition Installation CD (x86)
(cdrom1), disc 2 Download Edition Second Installation
CD (x86) (cdrom2), disc 3 Download Edition
Contributions CD (x86) (cdrom3), disc 3 Download
Edition Contributions CD (x86) (cdrom4),
mirrors.secsup.org, update_source, downloads) and there is a, seemingly, redundant source for updates: ftp1u or update_source.

I have recovered from accidental deletion of files by deleting and re-adding sources but I don't know well enough what is the situation on your box. Some suggestions:

Do urpmi.removemedia -a and start over. You can add them by hand in the 'manage sources' module of rpmdrake, or whatever it is, that has been a while ago. Just give CD1, CD2, etc for the name, the path is to the RPMS directory when the disk is in the reader, and relative path to hdlist is ../base/hdlist.cz, ../base/hdlist2.cz, etc. Add each with CD1 in the drive as all the hdlist.cz's are on CD1 and verify the names of the files.

In 9.1, I don't know about 8.2, you can add all the install source CD's with one command, with CD1 in the reader:
urpmi.addmedia --distrib removable://mnt/cdrom/

adjust the path to reflect what you have for a reader mount point.

Also, you might try removing the CD1 source (plus ftp1u) then re-adding it only with sources manager, since that gives the error. However, it might be the first of a string of failures.

Once you've got the install sources added, you can add an update_source with MandrakeUpdate or the sources manager, plus configure additional 8.2 sources here: http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

These are just general suggestions as I can't imagine the state of your machine. See man urpmi, urpmi.addmedia, et al.

Rolf