On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 20:23, Todd Lyons wrote:

> Rob Blomquist wanted us to know:
>
> >I am having a problem with the source code for K3B under Mandrake 9.1: during
> >make, I am getting: "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -laudio".
> >Has anyone attemped to compile this, and found a solution?
>
> Tutorial time.
>
> How to find this out with the tools that Mandrake provides:
> 1) When ld (the dynamic linker) wants to a link a file using the library
> called "audio", it's really looking for a file named libaudio.so.
> 2) Look for that file with something such as 'urpmf libaudio'.
> 3) Comb through the results looking for devel packages that have that
> file:
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ urpmf libaudio.so
>   libnas2:/usr/X11R6/lib/libaudio.so.2
>   libnas2:/usr/X11R6/lib/libaudio.so.2.3
>   libnas2-devel:/usr/X11R6/lib/libaudio.so
> 4) Tada!  'urpmi libnas2-devel' and you can now compile k3b.  If you
> would have done something even simpler like try to build the k3b source
> rpm, one of the prerequisites would have been that you would have to
> install the libnas2-devel rpm for it to build properly.  There are
> others as well, but I'm not totally sure what they are.

And you are, as always, right... but.... (I know always some a-hole
butting in.)  If his box did/does what mine did.

locate libaudio.so

/usr/X11R6/lib/libaudio.so.2.3
/usr/X11R6/lib/libaudio.so.2

Even though I have the rpm in question installed.  I don't have that 3rd
level of linking. Where so.2 and so link to so.2.3.  So what I've found
is often when I get the above error.  I have 3 steps.  One, the one you
took.  Two, make sure that that 3rd link (the libaudio.so one) is
there.  and finally I've had to add a bunch to ld.so.conf.  things like
/usr/lib/  even though the libs are there for reasons unknown some
builds don't pick it up unless I had the dir to ld.so.conf and re-run
ldconfig.  I know this isn't supposed to happen... but.  If it works
repeatedly I keep repeating it.

James