On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Jim C wrote:

> Thing is that if you are running Linux as a kioske sort of thing you
> want some nice eye catching candy.  You might be marketing a desktop PC
> with preinstalled Linux in your shop, for example.  So what about
> finding a way to run a screensaver while the logon screen is up, for
> example, or perhaps as a background for the logon screen? This would be
> especially cool if one might find a way to reduce the foot print of the
> logon dialog.  Perhaps by making it mostly transparent by using some of
> Mosfet's stuff?
>
> Anyway, I remember way back when... I ran a screen saver as a background
> for my desktop.  It was especially cool.  This was quite a long time
> ago... I've long since fogotten how to do this but if anyone can give me
> some tips I sure would appreciate it.  I do remember something about
> "running it in the root window" or something.  I think I had to edit an
> X (or was it KDE?) startup script too.

Running in the root window is in fact the key, but kwin is *very* picky
about how it will (and will not) allow this to be done. :(

Backgrounds can be programs in KDE, and are controlled by "KDE Desktop
Program Items" (or some name like that), which are text files in:

/usr/share/apps/kdesktop/programs/

They are all named "<name>.desktop", and are accessed through KDE's
background settings dialog, by turning off wallpaper, then choosing a
Mode of "Background Program", then clicking on "Setup". ISTR that kdm can
be configured to use them, but I have no idea if mdkkdm can as well.

If you're looking for some impressive eye candy, try out my Xplanet
scripts system (which also includes a set of KDE desktop program items):

http://xphowto.lunarhub.com

Caveat: If you're running MDK 9.1, the Xplanet version in the 9.1 contribs
(v1.0.1) will not work with my script system; rebuild the .src RPM for MDK
9.0 (v0.94) on the 9.1 system instead, and they should work well.

HTH!

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are