* Gavin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [030727 06:30]:
> I'm trying to run this script I got out of "O'reilly's LINUX SERVER HACKS"
[snip]
> I copied it line for line, and when I tried to run it I got the message:
>
> Bareword "LOAD" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at ./tl line 11.
> Execution of ./tl aborted due to compilation errors.

Not sure why it didn't work, except that `/bin/hostname` needs to be
in backticks, not single quotes.  This works for me on the command
line:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
$|++;

my $host=`/bin/hostname`;
chomp $host;

while(1) {
    open(LOAD,"/proc/loadavg")
        || die "couldn't open /proc/loadavg: $!\n";
    my @load=split(/ /,<LOAD>);
    close(LOAD);
    # print "\033]0;";
    print "$host: $load[0] $load[1] $load[2] at ",
        scalar(localtime), "\n";
    # print "\007";
    sleep 2;
}

I commented out the lines with the octal print codes and added a
newline for each line.  I don't have that book so I don't know what it
is really supposed to do, but I hope this helps.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz