On Tuesday 29 Jul 2003 4:34 pm, Richard Bown wrote:
> I think the hostss file is OK Anne
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] log]# cat /etc/hosts
> 192.168.1.1             gb7tf.org.uk gb7tf
> 127.0.0.1               localhost
>

> I checked the process list and nmbd -D is running , but no sign of
> smbd. Looks like its getting killed as it tries to start.
> I tried starting smbd manually in deamon mode, it gave the process
> ID , but no process was running, syslog showed the same as
> earlier.. ????
> Richard

I can think of lots of reasons for samba to be not performing, but I
haven't a clue why it's not running at all.  The best I can suggest
is that you go to O'Reilley's website, where Using Samba is available
for download.  There is a section there that takes you through
troubleshooting.  It's pretty comprehensive, so it should help.

Anne