RPM is not your problem here.

The warning messages you are getting are from OpenSSL.

The OpenSSL API changes between version.  It is trying to verify that the
version you linked against is the version you are actually calling.
(There are some very good reasons to do this.)

Upgrading OpenSSL by hand is not for the timid.

And now a real reason to hate RPM.  (This is fixable BTW.)

If you use "--whatrequires" to find all the things that OpenSSL is
supposed to link against, you will get a small handful of the actual
dependancies.  If you use "-e", you will get a complete list.  (If the
library is not listed in the spec file, the autodependancy will pick it
up, but only the library name, not the correct package.)

And then there is the bug in "obsoletes"...