Joerg Mertin wrote:

Hi Brant,

please try to read somthing about the philosophy on Unix type systems.
Root can destroy anything on your system. Also - if everyone would use it's Unix system as user Root - the Virus Problems Microsoft Systems do have - would also exist under Unix. Another reason not to do things as root - is to protect the user from killing himself (virtually speaking). So - using a System as User - makes sens.

I agree. I'm well aware of the dangers of running as root. I've lost system files due to an error when running *as a user* and running a file manager as root.

I'm not advocating that people run as root on a regular basis (MS Windows). In fact I've already said that it isn't a good idea. I'm saying that if they think they have the need, or just want to do it because they can, it's their choice. Our responsibility ends after we have made our opinions known. After that--it's up to the user to exercise their common sense.

I someone knows a System well enough to work as root under X - then _he_ knows how to enable it - thus this wouldn't be a problem.

If a User does not figure out how to enable root Login - then he's IMHO not ready for login as Root into X.

Just my 2 cents

Joerg