Hardware Scenario: 2 PCs connected to a hub/switch and the hub/switch is connected to a Comcast cable modem that is connected to the Comcast Cable Internet system.

Main Question: Is it possible to route things in a manner that enables the 2 PCs to send data (via FTP or whatever) to each other at LAN speed (10/100mbps)? What happens now is that the data transfer is limited to Comcast's upstream limit (256kbps) because the packets are going out to the internet and coming back to the other PC. How would I set this up so that the data transfer rate is in the range of a local area network (close to 100mbps) by routing the packets to go directly through the hub/switch to the other PC?

Side note: I noticed that 2 PCs running Windows w/ Netbeui and file sharing, the data transfer is that of LAN speed.

So what is Netbeui & Windows File Sharing doing that is allowing the LAN speed connection between the 2 PCs and how can I get my 2 Linux boxes to ftp to each other at LAN speed given the hardware scenario?

Thanks,
Sevatio