Well I looked at that section of the .config file and this did not appear to be the case. Also it doesn't cause an error until it reaches the NAT section of the shorewall commands. Later, when I can restart the box with that kernel, I'll get a trace so we can see exactly what command it is canning on.

It probably doesn't have the firewalling modules compiled for it -- I know the -mm kernel doesn't. Try copying the lib/modules/[kernel-version]/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ directory from another 2.4.20 mandrake kernel, then run depmod -a and see if you get lucky.