El mié, 13-08-2003 a las 05:07, Thomas Gamble escribió:
> I have been trying to get iptables set up on my gateway machine, but it isn't
> working like I think it should.  I have the following entry in the
> rc.firewall script to block incoming SYN packets:
>
> EXT_IF="ppp0"
> IPTABLES="//sbin/iptables"
> $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXT_IF -p tcp ! --syn -j ACCEPT
>
> yet ethereal shows these getting through:
>
>     Source port: 1302 (1302)
>     Destination port: 135 (135)
>     Sequence number: 2684291305
>     Header length: 28 bytes
>     Flags: 0x0002 (SYN)
>         0... .... = Congestion Window Reduced (CWR): Not set
>         .0.. .... = ECN-Echo: Not set
>         ..0. .... = Urgent: Not set
>         ...0 .... = Acknowledgment: Not set
>         .... 0... = Push: Not set
>         .... .0.. = Reset: Not set
>         .... ..1. = Syn: Set
>         .... ...0 = Fin: Not set

dunno about that one, and i don't have the time to study it..
i'll check it out later.

> I also have the following:
>
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $EXT_IF -p tcp --dport 135 -s 0.0.0.0/0 -j DROP

why check source address when you are trying to block it completely?

Remove the -s 0.0.0.0/0 and try again. And where exactly are you trying
to block them? Wouldn't it be simpler if you just blocked them at INPUT?

Also, check the order in which you add the rules. If prior to this rule
you added a rule that sends these packets to ACCEPT, then iptables
will think it already knows what it has to do and won't bother checking
with the next one.