Rolf Pedersen wrote:
Hi,

I was just provisioned with a cable modem/account, which uses dhcp, and
my bash prompt now looks like:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

where the part starting with 00 is the HWaddr of eth0, according to
ifconfig.  Heretofore, it has been '@localhost' on this single,
non-networked machine.

In /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases, under the three most recent of
the four leases, there is:

option host-name "x1-6-00-03-xx-xx-xx-xx"

which seems culpable.  I reran drakconnect, setting hostname there to
localhost, which shows up in /etc/tmdns.conf but, after reboot, the host
in the prompt is as shown.

For a short while, I have been using dhcp for an adsl modem but the host
was not changed, making me think it might be a behavior of the cable
modem.  I tried releasing and renewing the lease with dhclient -r eth0,
dhclient -l eth0 but that did not seem to do anything.  Not knowing
anything about networking, I hope someone knows what is going on.

Yes. Your cable company's dhcp server knows your ethernet MAC address. It is assigning you a host name using your MAC address to ensure that the hostname is unique on its network.

You *might* be able to edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and make sure there is in entry that looks like:
NEEDHOSTNAME=no

You would also need to edit /etc/sysconfig/network, and set the following entry (if it's not already there):
HOSTNAME=localhost

Both of these need to be done as root (or use sudo). Finally, as root (or using sudo) run the following command:
service network restart
to restart your network services without rebooting.

However, depending upon how the cable company is set up, their systems might refuse you Internet access if you have a hostname that they don't recognize.

Good luck.

--
Dave Sherman - MCSE, MCSA, CCNA

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
  for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.