Am Donnerstag, 21. August 2003 17:32 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Thursday 21 Aug 2003 3:33 pm, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> > Yep high frequent noise. As it was pointed out I think that this
> > comes if more then one sound is played. On my system it was often
> > caused by aplay that plays the system sound then mail has arrived.
> > ( I have switched this crappy artsd off on my system. )
>
> True, the system sound and the wav file are both called every time
> there is mail.  My card is an Audigy, running on emu10k2.  HardDrake
> seems to be saying that it uses OSS, not alsa.  I don't know where
> artsd fits in to the picture.  Are you saying that artsd is what
> plays system sounds?  If so, I guess it will turn off via 'services',
> right?  I could give that a try.

configuration => kde => sounds => soundserver. I have then and now this
scratching in the mail notification of kmail, but xmms f.i. isn't
affected anymore (plays fine at the same time) . Yes kde-sounds should
be played trough artsd if it is running. If, not aplay is used (All
AFAIK!). Saying that you have OSS and I have alsa it seems more and
more to be an artsd issue. I don't know if your card can full duplex
(letting access more then one app to the /dev/dsp) from my knowledge it
depends on OSS if the soundcard supports it.

> I'll look at that, but any more info on how these modules fit
> together would be much appreciated.  Thanks, Steffen

Yep would like to know as well what is causing it , if there is a chance
it isn't the soundcard driver. Maybe with 9.2 all this isn't an issue
anymore and I hope I can as fast as possible switch to 9.2.

Greets

Steffen