quoting James Sparenberg; Thursday 21 August 2003 01:22 am:
<whack>
> > It's not a cookie problem. I have the same requirement in all my
> > browsers, that requires all cookies to be displayed for acceptance or
> > rejection. I had no cookies from any site when I was redirected.
> >
> > I suspect a CGI or javascript is involved, which hijacks your connection.
> > It would seem that it might be browser-specific, and also have a random
> > factor built in to it's execution.
> >
> > What I found interesting was that the site I eventually ended up at (yes
> > I clicked to see where it led) wanted me to download an executable. I
> > have no need of windows to know what this executable does. Briefly, when
> > you install it, it disconnects your modem, mutes the speaker and redials
> > to a 1900 number. The first most users know of it is when they get a
> > phone bill showing a call to an overseas location, which was charged to
> > them at a rate of roughly $10 (US) per minute...
> >
> > I think bandwidthplace needs to check their servers (and javascript
> > code).

Their server(s) are Apache on Red Hat. I also didn't see any java-script
redirect code on the index html page source code.

> Could well be a rouge man in the middle hijack.  In other words it's not
> your browser but rather your DNS.   Although I don't understand the
> methodology I'm told that it is possible to "fake" or otherwise override
> DNS so that people are redirected who don't want to be.  (This may
> explain why I get the right site and others don't)   Other option is
> that if they have their load balancing hosed it could be like a phone
> system we had.  6 lines and if line one was busy it went to 2 then 3 etc
> etc.  And all of our numbers where sequential.  One day we got a call
> from a gentleman.  Yep, he had the next number after us, and the phone
> company system was sending our calls to him when all 6 numbers where
> busy.
>
> James

You are likely correct, man in the middle, cracked ISP DNS server, whatever. I
don't see how it would have happened but I'm just a gnubie. :-)

Has the OP tried; in a terminal, to check what IP address their ISP's DNS
servers are resolving for bandwidth place? Like thusly;

[EMAIL PROTECTED] nanook]$ host www.bandwidthplace.com 24.70.95.195
Using domain server:
Name: 24.70.95.195
Address: 24.70.95.195#53
Aliases:

www.bandwidthplace.com is an alias for bandwidthplace.com.
bandwidthplace.com has address 209.61.187.19

That's what I get from all of the DNS servers I use for my cable connection
here. I just copy 'n' pasted the last one of three.

Just a suggestion.

Regards;
Charlie
--