Use rsync.

Udo Rader wrote:

hi,

I have a directory that contains several hundred files and I want to
copy them all except _one_ file.

This sounds so easy yet still I am stuck or blind or stupid. Is there no
"not" operator in bash?

If it were, some construct like the thing below could then list all files
in "/opt/too_many_files" except "no_not_this_one":

% ls -l /opt/too_many_files/*{!no_not_this_one}

Yes, I know this doesn't work, but is there any other efficient way to do
this in bash?

happy hacking

udo

-- Ron. [Melbourne, Australia] "If you keep a green bough in your heart, the singing bird will come" Get Fastest Mandrake downloader, English-only, from: http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronst/ Click all ye faithful!