On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:14:39 +0100 Michael Lothian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'd like to set up my own Postfix mail server but... I'm not entirely
> sure how to.
>
> I have my own domain name (which is currently hosted) but I'd like it to
>
> point to my fixed ip instead.
>
> What would be the best way to do this? And how should I set it up etc?

I'm in the process of setting up a new mailhost and plan to chroot it; but
my current postfix is very anti-spam and documented at
http://pfortin.com/Linux/PostFix

> I've heard that if it isn't set up correctly it's a spammers paridise is
>
> this true and if so how can I avoid it

Make sure relaying is off -- of course, you'll need pop-before-smtp to
allow mobile users to relay -- then again, some ISPs like
mindspring/earthlink block port 25 from dialups -- that's also dicsussed
on my pages.