On Thursday 04 September 2003 06:43 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 04 Sep 2003 11:36 am, Charlie wrote:
> > I suppose it was quite harmless but naturally it went in the bin.
>
> Yes - I got one for both the expert and the newbie list.  I sent this
> to the newbie list when it was the first to arrive:
>
> Looking at the headers, I'm confused.  I was looking for something
> that could categorically say that it had come from the Mandrake
> lists.  This is what I found:
...snipped
> mk-cpfrontend.uk.tiscali.com (6.7.018)
>         id 3F547F72003A439B for [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Thu, 4 Sep
> 2003 09:10:51 +0100
...snipped.

> Could someone more experienced look it over for me.  Is it really
> coming in as a false list email, as I first thought, or is it a
> virused list member affecting us all?
>
> I was concerned that it really looked as though it had come through
> the Mandrake list.  What do you think?

>From what I can tell, this did come from the Mandrake list.  First received
header indicates the IP originating:

 whois 212.43.244.24
% This is the RIPE Whois server.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% Rights restricted by copyright.
% See http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/pub-services/db/copyright.html

inetnum:      212.43.244.16 - 212.43.244.31
netname:      MANDRAKESOFT-NETS
descr:        Mandrakesoft
country:      FR
admin-c:      DC4946-RIPE
tech-c:       CFH1-RIPE
rev-srv:      ns3.fr.clara.net
rev-srv:      ns4.fr.clara.net
status:       ASSIGNED PA
notify:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mnt-by:       AS8975-MNT
changed:      [EMAIL PROTECTED] 20010614
source:       RIPE

Following the headers further down the chain, if they are to be believed would
seem to indicate the origination was a pacbell DSL modem (67.122.222.126)
which does belong to Pacbell so is probably accurate.  If anyone on the list
is using a pacbell DSL modem and has Windows machines attached, you may want
to check your machine for infection.

I, however, did not receive this original message, so I suspect that it was
either not sent to the list or my virus scanning stuff is working well enough
that it was trashed before it got to my inbox.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer