On Friday 05 September 2003 01:07, James Sparenberg wrote:
> If the card was inserted when you loaded the module this could be the
> explination.  It would do that on mine until I stumbled (yes stumbled)
> upon a set of lines in my /etc/pcmcia/config file that actually were
> correct for my card.  IF however it did this and the card isn't
> inserted.  Then it's time to roll your own on the module.
>
> James

It was inserted. Loading the module isn't what causes the laptop to lockup,
it's when I run the "ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.15 up" when it locks hard.

At the moment I'm taking it slow for now....I just slaughtered (by accident)
my home box and the laptop in question has most of the more recent files
copied on to it. Don't want to lose the back-ups as well:o(

BTW, you wrote in an earlier reply:

>Once done this should be what you need in /etc/pcmcia/config
>
>card "realtek", "Rtl8180"
>   manfid 0x0000, 0x024c
>   bind "rtl8180_24x"

I'm confused. Shouldn't rtl8180_24x be defined in the device listings first,
before it's usable?

Good luck,
HarM