September 6, 2003 10:55 am, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> From: "Charlie M." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > September 6, 2003 06:39 am, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> > > Well the CookerHowTo does tell you exacty what it is, so the fact
> > > at it makes some people terrified is _intentional_ ....
> > > So if you intend to run Cooker, you have to be prepared to do
> > > some bugtesting/fixing too, and have the rescue cd handy for
> > > rebooting the system when it's totally messed up....
> > >
> > > But if you still are up for the challenge .... just go for it ;-)
> > >
> > > It's fun when it works, but it may be a PITA to get a broken
> > > system fully functional again... especially when you hit a bug
> > > that's hard to reproduce...
> >
> > Rescue CDs? Why? I have two "strange" stanzas in lilo.
> >
> > One says:
> >
> > hdimg
> >
> > the other:
> >
> > netimg
> >
> > Who needs disks? <g>
>
> Try to boot with those when lilo goes "L 99 99 99 99 99 ..." ;-)

It's been months since lilo has stuck it's fingers in it's ears and done
the "lalalalalalalala *I CAN'T HEAR YOU!*" thing. <g> Grub bit me
square on the buttocks day before yesterday though. So I wiped the
/boot partition and started over. There were maybe too many
initrds/cruft in there, since it hadn't been wiped on that drive (hda
now) since 9.0 beta2....I've also saved a spiffy Bamboo installed
replacement hda (60 GB Maxtor) drive to swap with it if I hit any major
"woopsies."

I also make certain that I update /boot every time I see a new version
of the hd and net img files, plus burn whatever ISOs I have for the
latest version to CD-RWs.

Can you say braces _and_ belt? ;-)

Nobody ever accused me of being smart, but I'm damned good at breaking
things, and finding ways of fixing my own screw ups.

> > You're absolutely correct though, it's a lot of fun even when weird
> > stuff happens. Also a great opportunity for learning and acquiring
> > experience.
>
> No argue there ;-)
>
> Thomas

Thanks again Thomas.